Today, we were planning out our goals for competition on January 25.
The biggest debate within the team was whether to add on the hanging ability, or optimize the traits we have. In the end, we chose to do the following.
-Have very fluid driver control
-Have an overpowering autonomous
-Excel at Large Ball and Bucky ball control
We decided not to hang. We came to this decision due to the appeal of a fluid driver control, and the strategic openings of autonomous.
If we choose to hang, we do know it will take a large amount of time to create. Because of this, it'll sacrifice our driving ability. Though it does give us a reliable 20 points, the lack of driver skill can make us lose tons of points in bucky balls and large balls. In addition to this, we know that the lack of driver practice will be a guaranteed inhibitor in robot skills. If we do not hang, we'll wont have a 20 point advantage.
In addition to this, we decided to focus on an overpowering autonomous. By stashing the 3 bump buckies, and leaving our preload open, the alliance can quickly place 6 bucky balls in 15 seconds. Due to our position at the end of autonomous, we can even threaten 7 or more stashed Bucky balls. We reasoned that with this threat, and the ability to hoard 3 of our opposing alliance bucky balls and large balls, we can prevent our opponent from outscoring us. We also reasoned that if an opposing alliance tries to hang, we can stash a large ball to counterbalance the score.
So, to put plans into effort, we inspected the robot. We knew we needed to speed up the robot, so we inspected the funnels and drivetrain
These are the immediate issues we identified:
-Standoffs must be removed to speed up the funnels. This will sacrifice structural integrity
-The drivetrain would be geared at 1:1.6 speed. At this ratio, we may overheat the drive motors. We may need to change the external gearing to make the drive 1:1.6 speed
We stuck with the original objective of making the middle zone autonomous possible
Today, we worked on speeding up the funnels system. we changed our gear ratio from 6:1 torque to 1.5:1 torque. At this speed, the funnels should be in position in less then a second, but it should also be strong enough to be controllable, and resist the force of bucky balls
-As expected, the standoffs which reinforce the funnels got in the way, so we removed the standoffs to insert the gear
-We ran out of 18-tooth gears. We originally wanted to gear the funnels to 2:1 torque, but since we didn't have the sprockets, we chose a slightly faster ratio.
-we need to reinsert the standoffs somewhere to increase stability
We continued to stick with the original objective of making the middle zone autonomous possible
To make the autonomous more viable, we worked on speeding up the Drivetrain. We did a bit of research on how to change the internal gears. After the research we then tried it for ourselves
-We stripped the motor screws.
-We worked on swapping our lift motors with our drivetrain motors. From experience, we know our lift motors do not go bad, so we believe this would be a safe option.
-we successfully changed the internal gearing of 2 motors, but we stripped the other 2. We decided to take this process slower to avoid this again. Another mistake we had was equipping our members with screwdrivers that are too big.
Old Lift Photos
Changing the Funnels
we helped out our sister FTC teams for their competition on 12/7. At the end of the competition, our 3 teams were ranked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in judging, while we took 3rd, 6th, and 7th, in competition. The competition only consisted of 14 teams, so because of this, we often faced our sister teams, dropping our average scores. 2 of the 3 teams juggled 1st place however.