On October 20, the team had a 8 hour bonus meeting to fix up the robot. The problems we tackled were the following:
-Lift not raising
We spent about 6 hours working on the lift. Rather than reconstructing our old design, we modularized the lift. By unscrewing 2 screws, we can swap out motors and axles in 2 or 3 minutes easily. With a bit more effort and time, we can replace gears. In addition to modularization, we added a bit more effort with our spacer, collar, and axle usage. We spun gears on bear axles and bent the axle until the gears spun for 5 or more rotations. Thanks to this tweaking, we minimized friction from axles. After we did this, we brought all the parts of the lift together and mounted it on the drivetrain. Once mounted, we reattached our triangular brace, square brace, and remounted elastic to help out the motors. When fabricating new axles, we accidentally made our last axle too long. Rather than spending hours sanding down the axle or risk cutting the axle too short, we simply replaced our left square brace with a triangular brace.
We then tested the lift and modularization came out as a powerful gift. After 5+ hours of work, one of the 393 motors broke. The wire fell off. Rather than 6+ hours wasted, we unscrewed 2 screws to access the motors, unscrew additional 2 screws of the motors, then replaced everything. The whole process was done in 2 minutes, after a mind numbing 5 hours of work.
We spent about an hour on the funnels system. First, we realized that one of the inexperienced members removed the modularization of the funnels. Because of this, we reverted back to the old funnel design. The old design allowed us to remove one of the funnels in its entirety. Using the remaining time, we tried to figure out how to stop jamming. We knew jamming occurred because the funnels caught onto the drivetrain. However, we also knew that the funnels only collided with the drivetrain because the funnels sagged. We played with the positioning of the funnels and noticed that the base sagged. We tightened screws as much as possible while supporting the funnels into a desirable position.
We tested the system and the funnels worked well. It moved as it should. However, when we tested it with the bucky ball, it grazes the top of the ball, preventing it from pushing the balls into the intake. However, this would still be effective for
We had a Tuesday meeting due to a demonstration we were invited to at Hackerspace. We were invited by team seahawks. At the demonstration, both teams brought their vex robots and drove around, showing off their abilities. However, because team seahawks was a rookie team that started at the early school year, our robot was the only robot that can manipulate gamepieces.
From the demo, we found major strengths and major weaknesses
-Couldn’t maintain lift height
-Large Balls would jam
-Couldn’t grab a second large ball without overflowing
-Cortex Metal was over 12 inches tall
-Vex Net can be hit by lift
-Can’t always right the robot
-Screws fell out a lot
-Intake failed to grab bucky balls
-didn’t have an autonomous
Fixes we applied at the demo
-Tweaked code to make motors spin at low power, maintaining lift height
-Applied a standoff limiter so the vexnet was protected
-Replaced rubberbands to let the intake squeeze the buckies
-Add more rubber bands to the lift to reduce motor power
-Move standoff limiters on the intake to prevent the large balls from jamming
-Apply a wall to allow us to grab and control multiple large balls
-Move the cortex metal down a bit or place the cortex under the robot
-Adjust the design of the large ball storage to avoid hitting the cortex
-Apply a rollguard
-create an autonomous
Strengths (after fixes in demonstration)
-Very fast and controllable lift
-Very controllable drivetrain
-Could stash buckies
-Could stash large balls
-Could manipulate 3 buckies
-gathers bump buckies extremely quickly
On Wednesday, we had a lot of driver practice. We tested the robots ability to go over the bump. It wasn't deathly slow, however we definitely do not have an edge going over the bump. Another issue we had was that the intake didn't reach low enough to grab the balls. Currently, we think that the brace we added is preventing the lift from going down low enough to grab the buckies
Today, we took a break. The FTC teams have a scrimmage tomorrow. Because of this, we helped out the teams.