Today, we did our best to get the robot ready for demonstration. We wired the robot as fast as possible to get each system ready. We also programmed the robot for mecanum drive. Instead of the standard position and rotation setup, we somehow programmed the robot for arcade on the left and strafing on the right. As a result, turning is very bad
We went to the tampa bay inventors club for a demonstration. The demonstration lasted from about 3 to 9. At the demonstration, we showed off our vex robot and our frisbee shooter. We drove around the vex robot and the T-Shirt Cannon. The robot grabbed large balls easily, but it was difficult to grab the "bucky" balls. The intake need the ability to squeeze the balls to grab, but the closer the rollers are, the more the ball is pushed away. Because of this, we need to fix the limiters and create a way for elastic to pull the rollers together. Talking to people here felt different. People didn't have the same curiosity as other demonstrations. We were talking to fellow engineers and inventors. Rather, it felt like everyone was more business oriented. This made us reflect on how to present our team to these types of people. In addition to these interviews, various people such as Kevin Harrington talked to us about presenting our project and keys to success.
Looking at yesterday's demonstration, we know that we have 3 major flaws. The biggest flaw was our messy electronics. Wires would get disconnected and entangle within the wheels. Even with electrical tape, the threat remained high. To accommodate for this issue, we mapped out a general format for our wires to follow. The wires will be directly mounted to a metallic component for a solid base. We also found routes wires can take to thin out wires like veins and make them easy to repair. Another flaw was the intake. It had difficulty grabbing the balls because of the lack of traction. By widening the opening and adding rubberbands to keep the system close, we should have the traction we need to grab gamepieces. The final limiting factor we had was the drivetrain. Not only was it slow, it had difficulty turning and tended to tip. We can look on how we can lighten up the robot, gear the robot for speed, check our battery levels, and develop a rollguard. Because all parts from the demonstration still needed to be transported, we didn't wire any cables directly to the cortex. We have a large bundle standing by. While this was occuring, we took advantage of our new chain and continued to make the prototype hanging system. We replaced the thin chain with high tension and we started to mount motors which would allow the winch to spin. We should have the hanging system structurally finished and the wires completed on friday
Today, we focused on electronics and the hanging system. We wired the remaining cables and labelled them for quick repair and construction. Unlike the rushed and prototyped electronics, we ziptied and divided the wires to thin out bundles. After wiring, we noticed our cortex is still in a weak position. It's a bit vulnerable to defense from the back and our vex net is semi buried in metal. Moving it outwards and mounting a shield may help protect the system and give it breathing room. Currently, our cortex does have a few defenses. We mounted the cortex on non slip pad to dampen vibrations on the cortex. We also mounted it so the vex net faces inwards, away from the assaults of other robots. This came at the cost of leaving our battery port open to the outside. This is good for maintaining the robot, but it also leaves vulnerability. We also mounted the cortex vertically. That way, it's harder to hit with a drivetrain. We also made the mounting plate like armor. when a robot hits us from the right side (when the cortex is the biggest target), the metal plate stops incoming metal. Our primary defense to ramming from the side is our drivetrain however. The cortex is close to the center, which means opposing robots would have to reach over the drivetrain to make contact.
As for the hanging system, we created mounts for motors. we attached rails to our deadweight to mount metal. Additionally, we wrote up a program to test the system. We should have the system running on wednesday
- Oct 15 Tampa General Hospital Demonstration @ 6-7 in the pediatrics department
-Oct 25-26 Off Season FRC event
-Nov 16, Vex Competition
Tampa Bay Inventors Club