Since the last update, we focused on solving the problems we've had last week and tuning up the robot. In specific, we've been targeting the ball collecting systems.
The problems we targeted
1. The third bucky in the intake.
2. Arm stability
3. Parts aren't mirrored
4. loose fasteners
One of the first things we did was tackle problems 2 and 4. We swapped our keps nuts with lock nuts. Now that the drivetrain was deeply incorporated to the robot, we were comfortable in it's design and swapped nuts. We tried our best to stabilize the arm, however, the task was difficult with the materials we have at hand. We attached a triangular brace made of standoffs, couplers, and collars, but it didn't have the stability we needed.
the first completed change were the super funnels. The previous funnels was that they were about 14.5 inches long. This was problematic with the previous rollers. the funnels would only stretch to about 6 inches past the rollers. This small distance required high precision, making driving slow and autonomous unpredictable. because of this, we lengthened the funnels. The funnels are now made of linear slides, which will have an elastic powered extend. This combination gave us funnels which are 22 inches long, A good distance to ensure we can easily grab all 3 buckies on the bump. This also gives our robot a wingspan of about 5 feet, giving us the expansion of a wall bot. With the proper modifications, we might be able to execute wall bot like strategies. This addition tackled problem 1. Because the third bucky would hit the barrier, the longer funnels allowed us to extend the intake out towards the front. Because of this new length, bucky balls can go down in height.
In addition to this mechanism, we worked on adding a large balls storage. The large ball storage is an expansion of the intake. By combining the systems, our total storage is 30 inches long, which should be long enough to grab 2 large balls at one time. Once our game pieces come in, we can modify the storage accordingly to grab 3 large balls at a single time.
Due to the mass of our storage, and the low torque of our tower, we had to decrease the weight of our load. One of the easiest things to do was lightening the intake. We swapped, two 12.5 inch channels for two 5 inch channels. Because of this change, we had to change the mounting bracket as well. The sprockets now connect to the center bar of the intake system. While making this system, we were able to tackle problem number 3. Additionally, because we had issues with problem number 3, we had to find a way to lower the bucky balls in the intake. We realized that we could widen the storage, causing balls to overlap like bucky balls in goals. Because of this, theoretically, we gain another 3 inches of storage capacity, lowering the balls.
-Add more detail to our other documentation(engineering notebook, strategy, robot specifications, etc.)
-Continue pursuing fundraising activities(online challenges, sponsorship/grant letters, member recruitment, car wash planning, tgi fridays, etc.)
-Add sensors for autonomous
-Prepare documents for judging
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment on the facebook page or leave a comment on our vex forums thread here:
For it's storage capacity, this intake is quite light compared to other intakes you'll see at competition
Large Ball Storage
this large ball storage allows us to hold more than 1 large ball at a time
this new lengthened version of the funnels should allow us to collect more balls faster