The team finalized the Naval grant and revised different parts before we send it off. We fixed wording and grammar issues.
Today, we started machining, parts neccasary for the drive train. We taught some of our newer members how to use some of the power tools such as the dremel and the circular saw. We cut the steel axles necessary for our drive train. These will reinforce it, increasing our lifting potential without breaking our robot.. We started to work on an elastic powered arm. We thought about using rubber bands to balance the arm. We continued brainstorming manipulator ideas. We decided on using a top roller to flip the cubes into our robot so we can lift it up. The lack of parts is frustrating, and is really inhibiting our productivity.
Today we continued working on Prototyping and powering the arm. We started to power the arm with a winch system. This ensures enough power to lift our robot up. We reinforced the axles to support more weight using washers.
We cut more axles and cut the metal plate to reinforce our drive train. Using a dremel, we rounded off sharp edges of our machined parts. We continued work on the arm, and we hope to have our robot lifting soon. Using a system of rubber bands and a winch, we should get maximum torque. However, our robot will be pretty slow scoring wise. We worked on mirroring the elastic powered arm from earlier this week. Using a system of winches, we powered the arm so it would be very powerful.
We finished the prototype for one side of the lifting drive train. We powered it, and we finally got it working. Later we started working on the flag spinner. The rubber bands could reliably do approximately 10 turns without breaking, however we could easily change that by adjusting the amount and size of rubber bands we use.
Today we continued working on the chassis. We finished mirroring one side. We realized that with both sides together, we would not have enough space. We realize we would have to stagger the motors to make it fit.
Today the team worked on trying to solve the problem of not having enough space for the drive train by offsetting the motors. We created a mock chassis to help with the design process. We tried creating a arm design, but the lack of parts are making things difficult.
9/28/13 Bar camp
Today we had a demonstration at USF where we got to see the progress of other robots, talk about first and robotics, and demonstrate our FRC robot.
At Bar Camp, we met some of the top teams in our area. Team duct tape had a working flag spinner, but everything else was in cad. Minotaur has a Drive train, and Maelstrom has a lifting system.
We also had many people visit our Area. We explained what FIRST is, what we do at robotics, and what have done so far. We were interviewed by sponsors too.
During lunch, we went outside and demonstrated our FRC robot. We let people drive and shoot Frisbees, and we won a shooting competition with another teem.
We started off the season discussing financing and learning about grant writing. Eric's mother talked to us about Grant writing, creating a budget and wishlist. We created a List of 40 potential sponsors, and we broke into groups and researched potential grants from those companies.
9/11 and 9/13
We started to brainstorm and start to prototype ideas for our robot. We decided that having a root that lifts up with another robot to be our top priority. We decided that we would use an expanding chassis and a retractable drive train.
We started prototyping this week. Our team broke up into two groups, one working on the drive train and the other working on the manipulator/lift system. We managed to get a mock-up of one half of the drive train.
The piece with the wheels would attach to the gears like wheels on a train. When the motor spins, the wheels raise up and down.
We also created a rough idea on what our scoop is going to look like. It will be able to pick up 4 blocks at a time.